Anderson winery is 25 years old!
Howard planted our first vines in the Spring of 1992, and then opened our Cellar door in March 1993. So we are celebrating the 25th anniversary of Anderson winery all the way through from Spring 2017 until March 2018!
You can join the celebration and wish us a Happy Birthday by opening your favourite Anderson wine (or a nicely aged one!), take a photo and either:
- post it to our Facebook page (AndersonWinery) or
- tag us on Instagram (@andersonwinery #andersonwinery)
We'd love to see what you're enjoying for us!
To set the scene for the beginnings of Anderson winery, here's a bit of a list of how Australia was 25 years ago, so you can do a bit of reminiscing with us! (And yes, that photo is of Howard & Christobelle in 1992!).
● Prime minister: Paul Keating
● Top of the Australian music charts: Achy breaky heart by Billy Ray Cyrus
● Movies released: Strictly ballroom, The Bodyguard, Wayne’s World, A Few Good Men, Sister Act, Aladdin (Disney)
● TV show debuts: Bananas in pyjamas, Getaway
● The Gold Logie went to Jana Wendt in A Current Affair. Other winning programs included E-Street, Fast Forward, A Country Practice, Brides of Christ & Burke’s Backyard.
● Average petrol price: 68c/L
● The Australian 1 and 2 cent coins were withdrawn from circulation
● The cost of a postage stamp was increased from 43 cents to 45 cents.
● The population of Australia was 17.5 million (now 24.5 million)
● The West coast eagles were the first non-Victorian team to win the AFL grand final
● The Mabo case, recognising native title in Australia, was decided on June 3, 1992.
● The median house price in Melbourne was about $138,000.
● The average annual individual income was about $30,000.
● The Olympic games were held in Barcelona, where Keiren Perkins dominated the men’s 1500m freestyle.
● Subzero won the Melbourne cup.
● The best selling car in Australia was the Ford Falcon, followed by the Holden Commodore.
● The first SMS text message was sent from a personal computer to a phone.
● Fax was the predominant means for electronic communications.
● There were about 700 wineries in Australia. Now there are well over 2500.
● Howard Anderson established Anderson vineyard by planting 1 hectare of Shiraz vines.
● Christobelle did a Grade 5 school project on the grapevine aphid phylloxera.
● The insulated shed where Anderson Cellar door still is, was built.
● Howard Anderson made 6 wines for his new brand, from purchased grapes, and using the facilities of other local wineries – a Sparkling Pinot noir Chardonnay, a Chardonnay, a Pinot noir, a Shiraz, a Cabernet (labelled “Soft Cabernet”) and a Sparkling Shiraz.